In 1894 Henry C. Anderson
of Watkinsville, Georgia began developing a formula for a cherry
flavored drink that was non-alcoholic. A German chemist living in
Elberton, Georgia helped Anderson develop the formula. The cherry
flavored drink was named Bludwine. The Bludwine Company started in
Athens, Georgia in 1906.
The company incorporatedin 1910. In 1916 Bludwine was distributed in 27
states. It claimed to outsell Coca-Cola. By 1917 the company was selling
1,000,000 bottles per day. Bludwine patented their hobbleskirt bottle
design in 1918.
In 1913 the FDA charged that the name Bludwine was misleading, because
it did not contain any wine. This suit was settled Federal Court in
Athens, Georgia. The jury ruled in favor of Bludwine. The FDA came after
Bludwine again in 1921 after losing it's original lawsuit. The FDA
forced the name to be changed to Budwine because the FDA felt that the
German word for blood used in the name misled people into thinking that
the soft drink had a medicinal quality.
Mr. Joseph Costa purchased the company in 1929 and only the Athens and
Augusta plants remained in business During the 1940's bottling
operations were moved entirely to Athens. Bottles had "CITY BOTTLING CO"
embossed on the bottom. The bottles also began having "GIMME" embossed
on the side of the bottle. Eventually, the Athens plant was closed and
the Athens Pepsi plant produced Budwine under an agreement. In 1969 the
agreement was discontinued. After this, bottlers in Thomasville, Georgia
and Macon, Georgia began producing Budwine. Budwine ceased production in
the mid 1990's.
Mr. Costa of Athens, Georgia also produced the 3 Centa and 5 Centa
drinks from 1934-42. These bottles also had "CITY BOTTLING CO" embossed
on the bottom.