Orange Crush Syrup
|Federal Glass Co. Columbus, Ohio||
This glass has slightly
tapered sides with a flare at the top. The wording on the glass is
similar to another variation (
) but the word Orange is larger, the text T.M.REG.U.S.PAT.OFF is smaller
with some spacing between the letters. There is large space between
T.M.REG.U.S.PAT.OFF. and FRUIT FLAVORED DRINK. The glass has the
Federal F Shield on the bottom.
The Orange Crush
Company was incorporated in 1916 by Clayton J. Howel of Los Angeles,
California. He had previously introduced the successful soft drink
syrup, Howel’s Orange Julep. He worked with his partner, Neil C. Ward to
perfect the formula for a new and improved orange-flavored soft drink.
Their invention was introduced as Ward’s Orange Crush. Today the Orange
Crush brand is owned by the Dr Pepper Snapple Group in Plano, Texas.
This glass was made by the Federal Glass Company, as shown by the cap “F” and shield marking on the base. Federal Glass began using this marking after 1930. It reads, “Orange-Crush Fruit Flavored Beverage”. This type of glass was used at soda fountains in the 1930s. The line across the base indicated the amount of syrup to be added to the glass. Then the carbonated water would be added to finish the drink.